A group of faculty is proposing to add a sustainability requirement to St. Lawrence’s distribution requirements. Proponents hope to expose St. Lawrence students to the interdependence of humans and the natural system. Simultaneously, advocates of the sustainability requirement believe that a course focused on sustainability will help St. Lawrence create a cohesive marketing image for future students.

“Just as we believe that every student should have exposure to a humanities and social science course,”said Mary Hussmann, a professor in the English Department, “we believe that everyone should have a sustainability course.”   Hussmann acknowledged not only that the school has adopted the Climate Action Plan and the sustainability requirement would be a great way to support it, but also that the university advertises location and outdoors and the sustainability requirement would be a great way to supplement those marketing tools. The St. Lawrence website even advertises the school as “an ideal location.”

In fact, the implementation of a sustainability requirement has been suggested before. Eve Stoddard, a professor in the Global Studies department, was part of a group that previously attempted to execute a sustainability course. In response to the recession, Stoddard’s group was trying to “brand St. Lawrence,” while creating a more conducive learning environment. According to Stoddard, sustainability “seems like something that students at St. Lawrence are committed to.” She believes that a focus on sustainability would be an intriguing way to attract students.

After a faculty caucus, however, Stoddard’s movement came to a halt. “I think a lot of faculty members want to have fewer requirements,” she said. She also added that many believed St. Lawrence did not have the resources to fulfill the requirement. For example, the faculty seems concerned that there would not be enough teachers qualified to teach the courses. It is important to note, however, that while both proposals contain sustainability requirements, they are not identical.

According to Hussmann, the sustainability component could now be fulfilled in a plethora of departments, meaning it would not be extremely difficult for students to complete the distribution or for the school to afford the distribution. In fact, Hussmann struggled to think of any department that could not incorporate a course that would fulfill the requirement. Even without sustainability as a distribution requirement, over 60 percent of students have taken a course that would fill the potential obligation.

Robert Thacker, an academic advisor, echoes the idea that a sustainability requirement would be rather easy to fulfill. He concludes that the only distribution requirement that is particularly difficult for students to fulfill is arts and expression. According to Thacker, “AEX has become a bottleneck,” meaning when students want to accomplish their AEX requirement, they have trouble finding the course.  He concludes that a sustainability course would not have the same problem, as sustainability is more interdisciplinary.

The implementation of a sustainability course is far from definite. The faculty still needs to vote on the plan, and they might reject it. Even if it is passed, it would have to get approved by the state. Therefore the earliest a sustainability requirement could possibly be added to the distribution requirements would be the fall of 2013. According to Thacker, for that to happen “the stars would have to align.”

2,168 Comments so far

1.    learn the facts here now on February 24, 2016 4:54 am

We’re a bunch of volunteers and opening a new scheme in our
    community. Your site offered us with helpful information to work
    on. You have done a formidable job and our whole neighborhood shall be grateful to you.

2.    how much does a segway cost on February 24, 2016 5:14 am

Greetingѕ I am sߋ grateful Ⅰ found ʏоur blog ⲣage, I really found
    yоu Ьy error, ᴡhile I ԝɑѕ browsing ⲟn Bing fⲟr ѕomething
    еlse, Αnyways Ι am ɦere noա and would just ⅼike tο
    ѕay cheers fоr ɑ incredible post ɑnd a all гound exciting blog (I also lovfe the theme/design), I ԁοn’t have time tօ browse іt аll at
    tһᥱ minute ƅut І һave
    saved іt and also included yοur
    RSS feeds, sߋ ԝhen I have timke Ι աill Ƅе Ƅack tо гead a lot more, Ρlease ɗօ ҝeep upp tһе awesome աork.

3.    Soap on February 24, 2016 5:16 am

There is a constant flux of FFA (Free Fatty
    Acids) entering and leaving adipose tissue.

Here is my weblog Soap

4.    how to get rid of hives on February 24, 2016 6:09 am

Hi! This is my first comment here so I just wanted to give a quick shout out and tell you I truly enjoy reading your posts.
    Can you suggest any other blogs/websites/forums that go over the same
    subjects? Thanks!

5.    astigmatism test on February 24, 2016 7:41 am

Greetings, I do believe your web site could possibly be
    having internet browser compatibility problems. Whenever I take a
    look at your web site in Safari, it looks fine but when opening in IE, it has some overlapping issues.
    I merely wanted to give you a quick heads up! Besides that, fantastic blog!

Here is my homepage – astigmatism test

6.    male enhancement drugs on February 24, 2016 9:01 am

Research reveals that most guys opting ffor penis enlargement are average in measurement.

Also visit my web blog male enhancement drugs

7.    Tranny Chat on February 24, 2016 9:44 am

These escorts leave a trademark with their clients. Book the
    exclusive services of these one-of-a-kind escorts even for the fun of it.
    The greatest compliments that I have ever received have been from
    men who say that I make them feel more like a man than any other woman ever

My page Tranny Chat

8.    clash of clans hack gems generator on February 24, 2016 10:22 am

You should use this hack as many occasions a day as you
    need and can be used to generate limitless gems, elixir and gold.Clash of clans is
    a free recreation developed by Supercell in 2012 for IOS and in 2013
    for android, this sport is a web based multiplayer strategy
    sport where individuals create their clans and fights with other
    clans for getting factors, elixir, gold and darkish

Have a look at my web page clash of clans hack gems generator

Speak your mind