Featured Poet: Sean Morrissey

Sean is a sophomore at St. Lawrence, major undeclared. He spends his free time on campus trying to have face to face communication in an ever increasingly technological world. You can find him with a smile on his face at every contra dance, and if you’re lucky you’ll see him perform a piece of his poetry live at Poetry for Peace.

Listen to Sean reading Monet Refuses the Operation by Lisel Mueller
Listen to Sean reading one of his own untitled works

Q: What made you want to start writing? When did you begin?
A: I don’t know, probably like freshman year of high school when we all started hating ourselves. That’s what made me want to start. Great pain either makes great art or great stories.

Q: How do you write? In a notebook? On a computer? In a special place?
A: Not really anywhere specific or with anything specific. Jots on my phone, hand, notebook, other people. It’s just chaos, there is no plan to my life. There is nothing. I have various notebooks for various different purposes, but that’s only when I remember they exist.

Q: Who are the poets who most inspire you?
A: I don’t really have any, I don’t know. My critique is Buddhism is that isn’t it good that Buddha found his own path but shouldn’t we also find our own? Life inspires me, words inspire. I don’t know. I don’t think poets inspire me, things come out of my mouth. I don’t think you have to have poets that inspire you.

Q: Do you have a favorite poem/s written by other poet? What is in that poem/s that you like the most?
A: The one that I read. It just  makes me cry inside a lot. It’s like all art, it can be your own clothes that you try on. Sometimes they fit and sometimes thy don’t. And when they fit, they feel good.

Q: Do you have a favorite poem written by you? What is in that poem/s that you like the most?
A: No, I hate all my poetry. But I think that’s good, cause if I hate all my poetry I won’t stop writing until I like it. It’s literally just chaos, but I like that I don’t like it.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.