Bios

Libby Nichols

Garden Manager

I’m a Junior majoring in Neuroscience at SLU, originally from Rochester NY. When I’m not in class or studying I work for the Biology department, hike, bake cookies, run, and ski. I’m also involved in Environmental Action Organization, and the Greenhouse. I’m always looking for an excuse to get my hands dirty whether it’s digging in the garden, or playing in the Adirondacks.

Ellie Brown

Garden Manager (grad. 2012)

I am currently a senior, majoring in Environmental Studies, with a self-directed focus of sustainable agriculture. I am a part of the Sustainability Semester planning committee, the Seed to Table Garden, and the Greenhouse theme residence. I got the gardening bug two summers ago as a farm intern at North County School/Camp Treetops in Lake Placid. I have been dreaming of having a student-run garden since I was a first year student, and it is so rewarding to have been a part of making that idea turn into a reality.

Mia Sloan

Assistant Garden Manager (grad. 2012)

Major: Religious Studies

There are few things more satisfying than going out to the garden and eating what you’ve grown. Being a part of bringing fresh food to SLU is something that is important to me and I am glad that we are able to offer other students a chance to help us do that.  What is more rewarding is knowing that we are helping the wider Canton community as well because of our donations to the Campus Kitchens Project.  By doing this we have been able to provide fresh vegetables and unique meals to the community.

Maggie Fellows

Assistant Garden Manager

I am an Environmental Studies and Multi-Language double major in the class of 2013.  Seed to Table started out as an interest in bringing composting to St. Lawrence.  It soon became clear though that our goals were more about creating a student garden to bring more local food to campus, and the garden has grown since then.  I hope to see more student involvement and more fruits come from Seed to Table in the near future.  I am also as member of the Varsity Crew Team, Baila, the Environmental Action Organization, Islamic Culture Club, Campus Kitchens Project, Club Nordic Ski Team, and the Arabic Club.

Claire Arrowsmith

Summer Garden Intern 2011

Class of 2013, from Toronto, ON Neuroscience Major, French Minor

President Habitat for Humanity Club, Secretary and Shift Captain for the Campus Kitchens Project, Treasurer Club Yoga, Employee at the Barn Good Thrift Store, General Chemistry Peer Workshop Leader and Member of the Habitat for Humanity Theme House

Enjoys outdoor activities and having fun!

Hanne Bailey

Summer Garden Intern 2011

Class of 2013 Chemistry Major
Having fresh vegetables from a garden you helped grow is one of the most satisfying things I have ever done in my life. Not only did we garden, we donated produce and volunteered with the Campus Kitchens Project, went to the Youth Summit Conference at Cornell University and took many fun and sustainability related trips. Working at the garden over the summer was one of the most valuable learning experiences and has influenced my future immensely. I am hooked to gardening for life.

Sophie Owen-Jankowski

Summer Garden Intern 2012

I am a sophomore majoring in Environmental Studies and Biology and minoring in African Studies. On campus I am involved in the Orientation Leader program, SLU Buddies, Calling All Saints, Seed to Table, and I am the president of the Environmental Action Organization. I became interested in local food production after spending time at Bittersweet Farm my freshman year. The Seed to Table internship was a perfect opportunity for me to expand my knowledge on growing local food.

Cynthia Tina

Summer Garden Intern 2012

I’m a first-year student at SLU with planned majors in Environmental Studies and English. I love to garden, which is part of the reason why I wanted to have an internship with the Seed to Table Garden this summer. I really want to see more local food in SLU’s dinning centers in the future and feel that the best way to accomplish this goal is to have more campus gardens. I believe that the Seed to Table Garden is making a significant step toward creating more sustainable dining options, educating students about organic agriculture, and building connections with the local community.