CAVA Rape Crisis Counseling Center (Citizens Against Violent Acts)
Carrie Tracey, Volunteer Coordinator
(315) 386-2761, http://www.cavany.org/
CAVA, St. Lawrence County’s Rape Crisis and Counseling Center located in Canton, is seeking individuals willing to develop crisis intervention and counseling skills to help men, women and children who are victims of sexual violence.
A 30-hour training program is required. Prospective volunteers must attend all training dates. Upon successful completion of this initial training, volunteers become certified through the NYS Department of Health as a rape counselor. Attendance at a monthly meeting is required to maintain this certification.
Volunteers are expected to:
- work on our 24-hour hotline
- be “on call” 3-4 evenings a month, or one full weekend a month (Fri.night, all day Sat. and Sun.)
- participate in fundraising activities for the agency.
- perform miscellaneous office duties.
- participate in educational presentations and health fairs.
Volunteers must have their own reliable transportation and a telephone. Most importantly, volunteers must be caring, considerate, and dedicated.