TAUNY -Traditional Arts in Upstate New York
Jill Breit, Executive Director, 53 Main Street, Canton, NY
(315) 386-4289, http://www.tauny.org/
TAUNY, a non-profit organization dedicated to documenting, preserving, and promoting the folk arts and folklore of New York’s North Country, seeks volunteers for several needs.
- Archival Collection: one or two volunteers are needed for 10 hours or more per week to assist with its archival materials from the last 30 years. With supervision, volunteers will re-container, label and file audio tapes, photographs, vertical files, etc. in approved archive folders and boxes for long-term preservation. This work will require careful attention to details and at least some interest in the contents of interviews and images of scores of local people. Those interested in cultural anthropology, museum studies, library studies, American history or folk arts, and music might be especially attracted to this work. These archives are absolutely central to the work we do. We really need and will greatly appreciate volunteers who will commit themselves to this work.
- Help Stuff Envelopes: a small group of volunteers is needed occasionally for 3-4 hours to stuff and seal envelopes for large mailings announcing special events, and for fundraising efforts.
- Gallery Receptionists: volunteers are needed to help receive visitors to the gallery during the fall months while exhibits are in place, or help in the museum shop.
- A number of other volunteering opportunities exist--please contact TAUNY for more information.
TAUNY is in Canton, within easy walking distance of campus.
Carol Smith Pynchon
Community Relations Director
Traditional Arts in Upstate New York
53 Main Street
Canton, NY 13617