Sources on the Globalization of Hip Hop (5)

• Aidi, Hisham. “Hip Hop Diplomacy: U.S. Cultural Diplomacy Enters a New Era.” The Atlantic, 16 April 2014. https://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/united-states/2014-04-16/hip-hop-diplomacy

This article takes a more politico-economic perspective on the global dominance of American hip hop.

• Baker, Geoff. “”La Habana Que No Conoces”: Cuban Rap and the Social Construction of Urban Space.” Ethnomusicology Forum, vol. 15, no. 2, 2006, pp. 215-246.

There are quite a few parallels between what I am reading in this article and how I perceive what is going on in Copenhagen, yet I am uncertain whether its is the effects of the same causes.

• Hagedorn, John M. A World of Gangs: Armed Young Men and Gangsta Culture. University of Minneapolis Press, 2008.

This book will be useful in understanding the relation between hip hop and gang culture. It is an American context the book is written in, but I would like to apply the same kind of analysis to a Danish context.

• Nilan, Pam and Carles Feixa. Global Youth? Hybrid Identities, Plural Worlds. Routledge, 2006.

This book describes how youth culture in different contexts can be understood as global. Particularly, chapter one, European youth cultures in a post-colonial world: British Asian underground and French hip-hop music scenes, by Rupa Huq will be useful in understanding the global relationships between an American rooted music genre, a diaspora of immigrants located in a European context.

• Stoddard, Eve, and John Collins. Social and Cultural Foundations in Global Studies. Routledge, 2016.

The chapter Keeping It Real”: State, Corporate, or Underground Voices in Global Hip Hop explores hip hop as an example of the intricate relations between local and global practices and is useful in locating my research project within a global studies framework.

• Wagnleitner, Reinhold, and Elaine T. May. Here, There and Everywhere: The Foreign Politics of American Popular Culture. University Press of New England, 2000.

In this book there is a chapter called How Hip Hop Hit Heidelberg: German Rappers, Rhymes, and Rhythms by Christoph Ribbat where he reports and analyses how hip hop became imported by German immigrants and the initial establishment for the hip hop culture in Heidelberg. Though it is a German context I would believe the experience of Danish immigrants to be sort if similar

This entry was posted in Research Posts. Bookmark the permalink.