Blog Entry #4 Battling Messages on Obamacare

Photo courtesy of the Washington Post

When it comes to president Barrack Obama’s new Affordable Care Act, a.k.a., Obamacare, the views are severed. Our society continues to be battered by ads in support and ads in strong opposition of the presidents new law. And yes, Obamacare is a law and has been a law since 2010. It’s not going away. On one hand, Obama, his administration, and most of the democratic party are attempting to educate the American people about this new law. Though they want the public to be well informed, Chuck Todd of NBC thinks that president Obama and his administration have not done a very good job. NBC has been attempting to explain the law, to the best of their ability, in a consumer fashion. On the other hand, conservative groups like Generation Opportunity are in strong opposition of the law. They are storming the web with their new branded “opt-out” of Obamacare ads, which feature a very creepy Uncle Sam performing some pretty personal and painful procedures. Uncle Sam is a clear symbol of the American government, while the procedures stand for the painful process that is Obamacare.

As previously mentioned, Chuck Todd of NBC, feels that nobody has done a good job educating the public about Obamacare.  The Democrats almost pushed it aside during the last election, not wanting it to hurt their chances of reelection.  The Republicans had nothing to lose and launched a full campaign against it.  This has left many of American’s uninformed about the law.  For example 51 percent of respondents to the Kaiser Association felt they did not understand the implications of Obamacare.  Does this leave it to the media?  Our Founding Fathers wanted there to be freedom of the press so there is another check on the government.  Chuck Todd mentioned that it is not the medias job to sell the public on the law, or educate them.  He feels that the media is responsible for is to educate the audience in a consumer fashion.

In all, the government and the people of the United States are at a very divided point regarding Obamacare. It is becoming an issue that is no longer an issue; it is purely mudslinging. The government has created such a drastic divide between parties that the media has no way of educating the common American of what the issue actually pertains to.

The solution to the problem must be dealt with through both the media and the government itself. Using terms such as “Obamacare” loosely is misleading and vague. This must be filtered more by the media so that the audience doesn’t automatically associate healthcare with Obama and hence, the democrats. But on the other hand, the government must take action too. The parties need to shift the focus from a marketing scheme to a rationale solution. It has become such a fragile issue that the government is facing a potential shutdown this evening. While it may hurt the economy, it can only trigger a better relationship between the Republicans and the Democrats.

Was it the media’s responsibility to educate the public about Obamacare?

How big of a roll do these mixed messages of Obamacare have in the possible shutdown of the government?

About jlcame11

I am a Rhetoric and Communications major. I'll be graduating in May 2015, making this my senior year. I am the President and Captain of the St. Lawrence University Men's Rugby Club, Managing Co-Editor of the Hill News, Editor-in-Chief of The Underground: Journal of Undergraduate Research, and host of a country music radio show on KSLU. I was born and raised in Massena, NY, which is a town about 40 minutes North of St. Lawrence University. I love sports, I love movies, and I love music. I can't function without coffee and if you offer me peanut m&m's, you could probably get me to do anything.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

27,403 Responses to Blog Entry #4 Battling Messages on Obamacare

1. Thankful to you for sharing such a decent post. Your post is stand-out. It is strong for every pursuer. You may prop up on sharing such a charming post. My name is Garcia Miller. I am a free blogger. I have in like manner formed a blog on Health Blog. You should kindheartedly share my blog https://pharmahub.org/members/3545/profile

2. pokerqq says:

Amazing thread. I want read even more about ur blog guys! keep it up

3. Canon printers are very reliable and have outstanding performance even in the most challenging environments. However, sometimes these devices can be difficult to handle too. We also know that these printers fail to perform at the most inconvenient moments mostly when you needed it the most. The third party professionals of canon support team are offering optimum guidance to troubleshoot such common printing issues. To make contact with them, you need to dial Canon Printer Support Phone Number at once. This toll-free number is reachable all day and night to resolve customer’s queries. So, without faltering you can dial this number whenever you encounter any issues related to your canon printer.

4. Hey Guys!!
    Now I am back to present a new medicine for muscle relaxant. Buy Soma Online USA in one of the best online pharmacies cureus now for street prices.

5. Great post! It was really wonderfull.

6. Packaging News Online presents a international news about the packaging related. And all updates are in your pocket.

7. Pingback: agen idn sport

8. Pingback: basketball shoes

9. Pingback: SEO Services Gold Coast