“Engaging Africa: The SLU-Kenya Program Past and Present”
Travel Experience June 29 – July 9, 2019
This summer, you are invited to join Dr. Matt Carotenuto, KSP directors Abdelwahab Sinnary, Lina Karingi and Michael Wairungu for “Engaging Africa: The SLU Kenya Program Past and Present” Laurentian Travel Experience! Dr. Carotentuo will co-lead this trip with Kenya program directors and Njau Kibochi in an exploration of the transformational roots of the SLU-Kenya connection.
For more than four decades, St. Lawrence has built a unique connection with East Africa. In January 1972 we embarked on a study abroad experiment. Fifteen students and one faculty member spent three weeks in Kenya as part of the University’s effort to expand off-campus programs and explore opportunities in the developing world. By 2019, more than two-thousand students from over thirty different universities having spent a semester or summer term in East Africa via the Kenya Program or (KSP). Our 2019 trip offers alumni an exclusive chance to experience some of this rich history. Led by renowned Kenya program faculty and staff, participants will explore the program themes of culture, environment and development through an interactive and invigorating experience based on the traditions of the KSP’s past and present.
- Explore Kenya’s diverse cultures and environments, and visit world-class sites of wildlife conservation.
- Stay on the St. Lawrence Nairobi Campus and meet Kenyan based alumni and program partners.
- Engage with rural homestay families and view student internship sites.
- Experience how unique the SLU-Kenya connection is!
- Click here for a full Trip Itinerary
Semi-private dorm style facilities in Nairobi, and 4-star safari accommodations during field components. Some single occupancy travelers may be asked to share a room in Nairobi only.
Trip Cost: $4,750 per person based on single or double occupancy. (Maximum-16 participants. Children ages 16 an up are welcome to accompany a parent or guardian). The trip is inclusive of the following.
- Online introduction to Kenya and orientation for the trip run by Dr. Matt Carotenuto in Spring 2019
- Full board accommodations (all meals), park fees and airport transfers from June 29th-July 9th
- Semi private dorm style facilities in Nairobi, and 4 star safari accommodations during field components. Some single occupancy travelers may be asked to share a room in Nairobi only.
- Transportation outside of Nairobi in extended cab Toyota Landcruiser Safari vehicles with professional drivers and field guides.
- Local medical insurance and Flying Doctors medical evacuation coverage throughout the trip for each participant.
- Five KSP staff and faculty will accompany the group outside of Nairobi and serve as guides.
Airfare and travel to Kenya is not included. We recommend exploring Kenya Airways new direct flight from JFK or many other popular options with layovers in Europe. Program staff would be happy to recommend additional ways to extend your trip and see other parts of East Africa. For questions please email or call Matt Carotenuto at firstname.lastname@example.org (315-229-5456).